ATK Mohun Bagan move up to second place with a 2-1 win over NorthEast United FC



ATK Mohun Bagan beat NorthEast United FC 2-1 at Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan Stadium in Kolkata on Thursday, moving up to second place in the Indian Premier League points table.

Read also | FIFA Globalism Qatar Cup 2022: Hansi Flick names Germany squad. Marco Reus Out and Mario Gotze In

Liston Colaco and Subhasish Bose scored either side of Aaron Evans’ tying goal to help the Mariners extend their unbeaten run to five.

NEUFC started the game on the front foot from the start, but ATKMB was the first to put the ball into the back of the net on a lightning fast break the next minute. Johnny Kauko’s cross to the right into space was well controlled by Dimitri Petratos as he gently volleyed it into the back of the net. The celebrations petered out as soon as they began when the linesman raised the flag at the far side.

With the match settled, the plans for the match seemed clear to the coaches, Juan Ferrando asked his winger to play between the lines, Mark Balpole asked his team to use the wings.

And the Gogoi brothers, Parthip and Bragyan, combined well with Roman Philippotou to get close to the Mariners’ goal, but Parthip’s shot was directly at the goalkeeper in the seventh minute.

After that all ATKMB with Liston Colaco and Hugo Boumous had many chances but none of them were fruitful as they missed them.

In the 21st minute, Roman Filippoto pulled in behind on the right side, but Subhasish Bose nursed him at a tighter angle as the last shot was wide.

On 27 minutes, good skill down the middle saw Leiston get the ball on the left as he took a few touches and sent in a fine cross at the back post as Manveer Singh climbed high but his effort was just over the crossbar. Then again in the 34th minute, Liston tried to do too much on his own and was jammed before his tame shot was easily saved.

In the next minute, NEUFC lost the ball to an aggressive Pritam Kotal as he passed it to Pomos who turned to start the counter-attack. He slid at Liston on his right as he took a few paces and shot from a tight angle past Mirshad Micho for the opener.

In the 41st minute, Pomos had a great chance to double the lead as Subhasish’s cross deflected off a defender and gave him a view on goal. He was quicker than the centre-back to respond but was unable to get past Murshid, who scrambled out of his own net.

After the restart, NEUFC changed their plans and started putting pressure on the ATKMB players, resulting in a tense defense.

In the 51st minute, the Gogoi brothers combined well to almost level the score.

Pragyan’s shot from outside the box was somewhat blocked by Pritam Kotal and somehow managed to fall for Parthip. He tried to direct it past the onrushing keeper with the outside of his boot but ended up hitting the post.

Subhasish Binya in the 57th minute, from the left, found Dimitri Petratos’ feet but with only the goalkeeper to beat it, he shot wide.

The match was soon halted due to accidental corners and late passes.

Everyone was suddenly shaken up when NEUFC equalized in the 81st minute.

Jithin MS cornerback was passed by Jon Gaztanaga on first down as Aaron Evans went down to lead his team back into the game.

ATKMB needed an immediate response and they rushed forward. Mirshad was called to action several times as he made goal line save after goal line save.

In the 89th minute, Subhashish got the assist. ATKMB was stalking the net with constant pressure from the right corner. NEUFC failed to clear the ball when it returned to Dimitri who put in a dangerous cross. Subhasish was in the right place and at the right time to go home.

Read all files The latest sports news over here


Source link