Last updated: Nov 24, 2022 at 06:05 IST
Happy birthday Ian Botham: Ian Botham is one of the finest cricketers England has ever produced. Botham really belongs in the pantheon of greats, and that was evident in the 1981 Ashes series. Although every Ashes series is an exciting contest, this particular series is remembered as one of the greatest series ever played. Ian Botham, man of the match in the three matches that England won, had a huge part in his play.
In the Third Test match at Headingley, Botham scored 149 in the second innings which helped England write an amazing comeback in the match. Riding on the back of Botham’s exceptional stroke, England became the first team in cricket history to win a Test match after following through. Botham’s superiority with bat and ball in that match was marked by sheer genius.
On the eve of Ian Botham’s 67th birthday, let’s take a look at some interesting facts related to his stellar career.
- Ian Botham has been involved in raising funds for leukemia research. He has organized and participated in long walks for the cause. Botham was awarded a knighthood for his commendable charitable work in 2007.
- He was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Ian Botham had a close friendship with the legendary West Indies successor Vivian Richards.
- Sir Ian Botham was no stranger to controversies. He was suspended for two months for smoking cannabis in 1986. Furthermore, former Pakistan captain Imran Khan accused Ian Botham of ball tampering in 1994. Imran Khan even won a controversial defamation case in London after Botham and Alan Lamb accused him of calling them racists. educated. .
- The indefatigable Ian Botham was the fastest to score 1,000 runs and take 100 wickets in Test cricket.
- A true establishment, Botham holds the record for scoring a century and taking 5 wickets in an innings of a Test match the most times.
- Botham is one of the few outstanding cricketers to score 5,000 runs and take more than 350 wickets in the toughest form of the game.