Manchester United take appropriate steps after meeting Cristiano Ronaldo
Manchester United have begun ‘appropriate steps’ in response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s explosive interview with Piers Morgan.
The Premier League club’s legal team has been waiting to review the full footage of the 90-minute debate in which Ronaldo lashed out at United boss Erik ten Hag, his teammates and owners.
Read also | FIFA Globalism Qatar Cup 2022: Organizers ban the sale of alcoholic beverages in stadiums
The club said on Friday: “Manchester United this morning initiated appropriate steps in response to Cristiano Ronaldo’s recent media interview. We will not be making any further comments until this process has come to a close.”
The 37-year-old Ronaldo is in Qatar for his fifth World Cup with Portugal. But his Old Trafford future appears sealed, with the striker’s position widely deemed unacceptable even before the full interview was broadcast on Wednesday and Thursday.
The potential exit was complicated by the limited number of clubs that were able to meet his salary of around 500,000 pounds ($590,000) per week. But if he is found to be in breach of contract, the likely outcome could be the cancellation of his deal.
The United officials were unaware that any interview had taken place and had to wait for it to be broadcast on TalkTV before determining the club’s legal position.
United also said they wanted to wrap up the process quickly.
Ronaldo’s statements have intensified the past few months since Ten Hag took over at the end of last season.
The United manager had already sacked the Portugal international from his squad and forced him to train away from the squad when he refused to come on as a substitute against Tottenham.
“I think he doesn’t respect me the way I should be,” Ronaldo said. “But it is what it is. Maybe that’s why I left during the game against Tottenham. … That’s why I say I don’t respect him because he doesn’t show me any respect.
“That’s why we’re in this situation. I have to be honest that things don’t work out because of that. Because the empathy just wasn’t there.”
Read also | Players to watch in the 2022 World Cup: From Lionel Messi to Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar
Ronaldo, who failed to secure a move to a club in the Champions League in the off-season, paved the way for a potential departure in the January transfer window.
“Maybe it’s good for Manchester, maybe it’s also good for me to have a new season. Maybe. But I don’t know,” he said.
“If I come back, I will be the same Cristiano. But I hope people will be by my side and allow me to shine as I did in all clubs and all years.”
Read all files The latest sports news over here