Woman undergoes emergency surgery after swallowing ‘deadly mango’ seeds



The picture shows mango pickle in a bowl.  Unsplash
The picture shows mango pickle in a bowl. Unsplash

A 57-year-old woman from Surrey, England underwent emergency surgery after a mango seed got stuck in her throat while eating a mango pickle.

According to the report of The telegraphThe woman was taken to the emergency department at Epsom Local Hospital when something pierced her throat. She told the medical staff that she was unable to swallow something stuck in her food pipe.

The doctors performed an examination and sent the woman home and told her that they did not see anything wrong with her.

The examiners found that the woman still drooled easily and was able to swallow food as well, The telegraph mentioned. There was no “foreign body” in the woman’s body.

Doctors told the woman that she may have been feeling the reported sensation due to gastritis (irritation of the stomach lining) or scratching caused by some sharp food particles. They told her to come back only if she felt more unwell.

Four days later, the woman returned to the hospital with signs of sepsis which is the body’s severe and life-threatening reaction to infection. She was unable to swallow anything at that point and developed a sore throat. When the doctor did a CT scan, they discovered a tear in her esophagus. The woman also had air in her chest.

A diagnosis of sepsis was followed by an emergency operation in Guildford where a mango seed was found stuck in her throat. The outlet stated that the seed came out of the body, and the woman remained on antibiotics intravenously for a week.

Later, the woman, who had fully recovered from the condition, filed a complaint against the hospital secretariat.

according to The telegraph In the report, the hospital told investigators that such throat problems usually came from “fish or broken bones like chicken,” which is why they did not consider the mango seed to be a threat.

The investigation team was also informed that the country does not have national guidelines for such a scenario.

“From something so mysterious, ridiculously strange, and unlikely to ever happen again, the Trust has created practical and useful learning points,” the platform quotes Dr Richard Jennings, chief medical officer at NHS Hospital Epsom and St Helier, as saying.

Jennings added, “I was also very happy, after being jittery reading the title, to find that it’s a ‘killer mango’.”


Source link