Former United captain Gary Neville has said that Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Manchester United should be terminated.
In a sensational interview with TalkTV, Ronaldo said he had no respect for United manager Erik ten Hag and claimed he was forced out of Old Trafford.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has been a fringe figure on the pitch with United since Ten Hag took over as manager in May.
Ronaldo was disciplined after refusing to come on as a substitute in the 2-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur last month.
But his latest act went further as he also lashed out at the club’s owners, the Glazer family, claiming they had “no interest” in the club’s sporting success.
Neville told Sky Sports: “I don’t think he wants a way back. He wouldn’t have done that interview if he wanted to come back.
“He knew it was going to grab the headlines and it would be the end of his Manchester United career.”
Ronaldo has just over six months left on his contract after joining United from Juventus in August 2021.
The Portuguese won three Premier League titles and the UEFA Champions League during his first spell at Old Trafford.
His return home has become faltering.
United failed to qualify for the Champions League after finishing sixth in the Premier League last season, despite Ronaldo’s 24 goals in all competitions.
Neville added, “I wonder what Manchester United are doing because the truth is they know they have to terminate Cristiano’s contract or they are setting up a precedent so that any player can criticize them in the future.”
“I agree with some of the things that Cristiano said, and many Manchester United fans will agree with many things that Cristiano said. But the truth is if you are an employee of a company and you say those things your job has to end and Man Utd has to do it in the next few days.
A statement from United, issued on Monday, said the club would “consider its response after ascertaining the full facts”.
However, Ronaldo’s banner has already been removed from the facade of Old Trafford.
The 37-year-old is set to make his fifth World Cup appearance in Qatar.
However, Portugal coach Fernando Santos confirmed that he will miss Nigeria’s friendly match on Thursday due to illness.
Read all files The latest sports news over here