After a day from Sri Lanka cricket The Executive Committee (SLC) has stopped 31-year-old Dhanushka Junathilaka’s left batting from all forms of cricket after he was arrested in Sydney on Sunday morning for allegedly sexually assaulting a 29-year-old woman earlier last week, the country’s cricket governing body appointed a commission of three members to investigate the matter.
The panel will seek an immediate explanation from the team manager regarding the cricketer’s behavior and how the sequence of events has developed.
Jonathilaka was moments from leaving for the airport to fly home after Sri Lanka’s exit from the ICC T20 World Cup, when he was pulled from the team bus and arrested by police on Sunday morning.
According to the New South Wales Police Department, the 31-year-old Sri Lankan cricketer had been in contact with a woman for a few days “via an online dating app before they met in person”. He allegedly sexually assaulted her on the evening of 2 November. Gonathilaka faces four counts of rape.
“The Sri Lanka Cricket Company would like to announce the appointment of a three-member panel of inquiry comprising of Judge Sisira Ratnayake (Retired Supreme Court Judge), Mr. Niroshana Perera, Counsel, and Mr. Asela Rekawa, Counsel, to launch an investigation into the alleged incident of player Danushka Junathilaka,” SLC said. In a statement on Tuesday.
“The commission will also focus the investigation on various alleged incidents that have come to the attention of Sri Lanka cricket and that allegedly occurred during the stay of the national team in Australia. The statement said that in the process the commission will seek an immediate explanation from the team manager regarding his behaviour, noting that such incidents have occurred.
“On submission of the aforementioned report by the committee, Sri Lanka Cricket Executive Committee will take strict disciplinary action against players and/or officials if any error or negligence is proven in carrying out official duties,” the statement noted.
Gunathilaka, who was disqualified from the T20 World Cup in the first round itself due to a hamstring injury, was replaced in the team, but the cricketer – who played eight Tests, 47 ODIs and 46 T20Is – remained with the team during his campaign. .
The SLC also said it would provide all possible support to Australian law enforcement agencies to conduct an impartial investigation.
“Sri Lanka Cricket would like to reiterate that it has a zero-tolerance policy for any such conduct by any player and will provide all required support to Australian law enforcement authorities to conduct an impartial investigation into the incident,” a previous statement had said.